HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer no mans land refresher and story
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM
MaineRida
Fork Horn

Default Help explain this

I shot a small 8 point with my 338-06, the shot was through the ribs. I butcher my own animals, as I removed the hide I found a muzzy
Broadhead in the hide of the left shoulder. As I removed meat from the right shoulder the top of the shoulder had a chipped area and a healed crack. As I removed the meat from the left shoulder, the shoulder blade had severe cracks with what appeared to be a pass through of a Broadhead over an inch down the shoulder blade. The shoulder blade was healed but irregular from the fracture.

Had I understood the significance of what I possessed I would of kept the shoulder blades for show and tell, at the time I thought this was one heck of a tough deer but it's luck had run out. As I told this story over the yeas, I have heard a lot of thoughts but I believe the shot had to have penetrated the chest cavity. I should have spent more time examining the chest cavity but I was more interested in finishing the job at hand.

I have shot and butchered a lot of deer in my 40+ years of hunting and I would have expected to see this deer die from what I saw.