HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sticker Shock!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 AM
craig
Fork Horn

Right now with multiple states having passed laws allowing crossbows in archery season, there is a explosion of demand.

When you have massive demand chasing after a product, pricing for that product is far from reasonable. The bow makers are recouping R&D costs overnight.

But also along with the much higher pricing, look at the advancements in crossbows, scopes that at least have better quality lenses & reticules designed for crossbows + greatly improved arrows compared to just 7-8 years ago. There have been more advancements in crossbow design & performance in this past 7-8 years than in the prior 20 years.

Bow companies are now looking into new & more advanced limb materials than fiber glass. Not a real big surprise, just look at how long we've had carbon fiber fishing rods & golf shafts........decades. By 2020 I expect to see compound bows reach 400 fps & crossbows will be closer to 500fps than the max of 425 fps we see in today's market. And as ever more states go to full inclusion for crossbows, the prices will, if anything get higher yet. Only when demand levels off will we see prices drop.

And not only increased speed is coming. Lighter crossbows & ones with better trigger pulls are already showing up in the market, as well as shorter & narrower designs, all in the last couple of years. Lower noise & vibration hasn't gotten addressed a great deal yet, but I expect to see it get great attention over the next 3-5 yrs.

Don't get me wrong, my crossbow cost me a lot, and I expect the next one I buy in a few years to cost at least 40%+ more. Not thrilled with those realities, but I do understand what is driving this & that it won't change for at least the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by craig; 11-15-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarity + added info