HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - worst shot ever made
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Worst shot was several years ago- was still hunting and came across a group of does that had been spooked by some other hunters. They were about 80 - 90 yards away. I didn't have anything to brace on, so I attempted an offhand shot at the lead doe. They were moving, and I waited until they stopped - or so I thought!

At the shot, they all spun and ran the other way, the doe I had shot was limping noticeably. I made the fasted reload I've done in my life, and jogged forward to try and reaquire the deer. I saw it right away standing quartering away from me at about 70 or 80 yards. The only shot I had was a neck shot, and since it was already wounded I decided to take it. The offhand shot drilled it right through the cervical spine and killed it instantly. Both shots were with the 200 grain SST and 80 grains T7.

Upon field-dressing the deer, I found my first shot had hit way back in the pelvis area - breaking one of its hips and severing the femoral artery- it was bleeding a lot. It probably would have bled out pretty quickly, but it was a terrible shot. Luckily I was able to follow that terrible shot up with a great neck shot. The first shot felt good, the only thing I can figure is that the deer had not completely stopped moving when I took the shot- this would make sense based on her direction and where the shot hit.