HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maryland sika hunt in progress
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 AM
westMDbowhunter
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BCRules
I hunt Sika every year since 99. Greenbriar is not a real hot spot for sika, but I have killed some decent whitetails there. I did kill a 2X2 there in 2000. First sika I ever saw while hunting.

Section A, M1, M2, are all good sika spots, and I have yet to see a whitetail in those in the last 10 years. There are two ways to hunt sika, one is to sit smack dab in the middle of the swamp. Very productive but hard as hell to find the deer after the shot. The other way is to hunt the hardwoods on the edges, and wait till they pop out. Not as productive.
The whitetails down there are mostly bruisers I didn't see any yearling bucks while I was down there. In the morning we'd see groups of two or three bucks all 8s and 10s but that was on the farms ya know.

If I can get it together I'd like to go back down and give it another go, still plenty if time in the season. I'd probably limit it to areas m, e, and
a. Just gotta get me a climber or a hang on and some waders. I only saw one spike that was killed out of an area that wasn't marsh. But I'll definitely be back, it's a whole nother world down there man. I've never experienced anything like it. I still prefer west MD for living but I love our states diversity in habitat. I don't think any other state compares on that level. Now if they would only stop letting non residents get bear tags.. Us people who have land up here in bear country deserve to have
at least 90% of tags. At least md residents deserve 90 %

I'm gonna put everything I learned into use next go and I don't think they'll stand a chance