HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer day pack?
Thread: Deer day pack?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tfhunter
well you my friend must not hunt on large land in the country or youre just very unprepared. Theres a lot more to hunting than just shooting the deer and eating a snack. What do you do after you shoot a deer? drag it by its legs? How do you gut it?
It doesn't take a pack frame ruck sack to carry everything you need for a day-hunt, even including emergency supplies. There's not much sense in carrying 40lbs of gear to walk a half mile to a stand, spend a day, and back home that night.

For deer, I mostly carry dressing tool, extra ammo, and optics, plus a bit of 1st aid supply. When calling coyotes, I carry a LOT more than I do when deer hunting, as I'll have add to that list a decoy, electronic call remote, hand calls, and a few other items.

These are what I use: Military Surplus FLC's. Depending on what I'm hunting, I can swap out the pockets and pouches to only have storage for what I need. For large game hunting where I need a larger pack, these integrate into mil-surp ruck sacks with pack frames as well. A bottle of water and a ziploc bag of trail mix or a PB&J helps. I normally leave them on most of the day, but I can take everything off and put it back on easily, rather than having things in coat pockets. Everything is in front of me, always at hand when I need it.