HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - worst shot ever made
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Got a brand new Remington 700 ML in 54cal for Christmas from my wife about a year after they came out. not my first ML as I had a T/c Hawkins 50 cal and a T/C plains rifle 50 cal.
I shot it all summer long I was using 100gr of Clean Shot and a 250gr XTP bullet in red MMP sabots.
Got an invite to go ML hunting in Sothern Michigan for does. Fellow who invited me put me in a deer blind with a hay field to the front and woods to the rear hay field on both sides.
I was there about an hour when a small heard of does showed up in the hay field to the right. I pick out the biggest body one about 40 to 50 yards out. Set the cross hairs on the spot just behind the shoulder and squeeze off the shot. When the smoke cleared all the deer had disappeared. I had to step out of the blind to reload so I decided to go see if I saw any blood in the 4 inches of fresh snow. Yup there is blood a lot of it. I track it to the edge of the woods, Don't know if I have permission to be in there or not so look up the fellow who invited me. He has permission so we start tracking it. It goes about a half mile to a gravel road does not cross but angles deeper into the woods. Track it a half mile back to just behind where the blind I was in was. Fellow tells me that he thinks he knows where it will go so I am told to go stand by a fence post a corner where that woods meats the corner of another woods. Pretty soon I see deer coming but hold fire as the one I had shot should show blood as she was bleeding real well. Finally I see a lone does sneaking to the fence. once there she turns and heads back the way she came I still am not sure it is my doe. Soon a boom sounds and a call from the fellow who invited m. I get there and he had shot her when she came sneaking back with his T/C renegade 54cal and Maxi ball.
I had shot her in the brisket about 4 inches off in my aim. figure she had traveled close to 2 miles after being shot.

Mine you this is not the first deer I had ever shot in my life. In fact I had just returned a week earlier from our UP deer camp with two nice bucks.
I don't have a clue what I did wrong.

Al