HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Deer Hunting Rifle
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM
RoKozak
Spike

Default First Deer Hunting Rifle

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie looking for some help here. I am really looking forward to purchasing my first rifle, primarily for deer hunting here in PA, but am quite lost on what I should buy. I've done a lot of Google searching and have come across suggestions for a Marlin X7, Stevens 200, Savage Arms 111, Savage Axis, Remington 770 (which I read is poop), Remington 700...etc etc.

I don't know where to start. I am also wondering if a 270 Win would be better than a .30-06 (ammo availability, type of hunting, etc).

So, excuse my newbieness, but can I get some help here? Ultimately, I want to buy a rifle that will last and that I can even pass down to my little son some day. I don't want a budget rifle for the sake of having a rifle, but if there are ones out there for less than $500 that would be worth it, I'm all ears!

If there are other things you guys would need to know in order to better direct me, I would really appreciate it. I'm a novice with terms, as well, so if you use a bunch of acronyms, you'll confuse me more.

Cheers!