HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New "hunter" Need Advice/Assistance!
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Good advice already given. Here's a little more.

If at all possible hook up with an experienced turkey hunter. Watching videos, Youtube stuff, and reading about "how too" goes only so far. It takes field time for sure.

If you decide to use a shot gun, be sure you pattern the load you plan to use. There is no doubt siffernt loads will pattern somewhat differently from any shot gun.

As far as calls, decoys, shooting blinds, etc. .... I travel light and keep the calling simple. If you can master clucks, purring, and the yelp with a good box or friction pot type call you are well on your way to being able to coax a gobber into range. You can work on the more difficult calls later .... cuts, aggressive fighting cuts, kee-kee runs, etc. And using a diaphram call. My advice is to not "over call". A gobbler can and usually will locate a "caller" within a few calls. Don;t have to call every minute to get one to drift in.

I am in concert with Sheridan. I want to avoid long shots. So I try to get the Tom within 20-30 yards. I have killed a few farther out than that but I have flat missed a few of those 50 yarders as well.

As for cammo? Turkeys can see darn well. So wearing a good hidng cammo and staying as still as possible is going to help out a bunch. And don't under estimate how well they can hear. About every predator eats turkey so they have developed extremely good fear of something out of place, sound or sight.

Hunting with a bow? Going to be tough. So plan on being patient.

And no doubt scouting is a dang near must. At least it has been for me. Plus it is just plain fun to try to locate roosting areas and where the turkeys are tending to feed.