HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Sounds Deer Make & What they Mean
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 AM
Wilcam47
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
I know this is old but I do have a question in case OP is still around or someone else can answer. I have been living on my farm for 4 deer seasons now. I have hunted A LOT but I have never heard a deer make a single noise other than blowing at me. I have never had luck with grunt calls probably because I have never heard a deer make sounds before. Watched a lot of videos before I used it so I am sure I was at least sounding like a deer and not something unnatural. Not once did anything ever respond to my calls. I have never heard a fawn distress call or a doe bleat. In the past 4 years the only things I have ever heard are squirrels, turkeys, ducks, hawks, owls, and coyotes. I dont hear deer. Is this normal?
Turn your hearing aids up? jking...lot of it is timing, some you have to be paying attention and or close enough to hear the vocalizations.

By timing I mean during rut you will hear more sounds. Ive seen fawns bleat but they were 20yds away and I barely heard it. If a wind comes up or leaves rattle you probably wouldnt hear it if you werent paying attention.

Buck grunts are still rare for me to hear. Again with wind/trees rustling etc its hard to hear unless they are relatively close. Some otc grunt calls scare off deer.