HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM
d80hunter
Nontypical Buck

Cool

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ok, one last question. I'll admit i've never used a stand, and i've never used cameras.

If you were looking for places to put up stands. Wouldn't putting up cameras for those spots be helpful before the hunt starts?

I understand a camera won't kill a deer for you, but isn't it added information you can use for your hunt?

Also, if you're a trophy hunter. Wouldn't it help you see what trophy bucks are in the area? Unlike mule deer. Whitetails don't have a big area they live in. Seeing one on camera would tell you what's in the area.

Putting a camera on a game trail would tell you how much traffic an area is getting.

None of this info is helpful to a hunter? It sure would be for me.
True cameras can provide information of what is going on in the woods. However I personally believe the use of a trail camera to dictate where you hang a stand is inferior to scouting the land. Knowing where the feeding and bedding areas are combined with knowing the natural land funnels in between, then hanging the stand on the most used deer trail based on this information is how I hunt.

If I hang a camera after all the scouting it doesn't change anything. I am going to sit in this location as long as it takes till I harvest a whitetail, regardless of what pictures the trail camera shows, however good or bad the pictures I look at make it out to be.