HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 AM
handles II
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
Would you care to elaborate on what methods you are referring??
I can name a few. 1. deer drives. Takes no woodsmanship just more than one person. 2. Hunting over bait. Legal and used in many states by many hunters. Some of whom probably think cameras are an unfair advantage. 3. Hunting a field. Just sit and wait for the deer to come out in the evening. Zero woodsmanship needed.

If I hang a camera in a spot without using woodsmanship, guess what I get? Nothing.

Even if I get the same buck on camera three days in a row at the same time, the reality is that I had to walk into the woods, get my camera card, take it home and look on the computer at it, THEN attempt to go to that area if the wind and conditions are right (woodsmanship). And it is more often without a doubt that I won't see that buck (or perhaps any other). If cameras made it that easy, then everyone who had one would shoot the best buck they have pictures of. It doesn't happen, not even close.
The "tried and true" methods of hunting above all take far less effort and woodsmanship.
In addition, like others on here, getting some cool pictures of nature is great and only helps me hold my hunting area more dear to my heart. It has nothing to do with an expectation that I will shoot or even hunt what I get pictures of.