HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stabilizers on my hunting bow: Am I missing something?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

If you have a tiller imbalance and your bow's pivot torque changes when you're shooting downhill vs. flat, then I can say at the very least, it's not going to help your shooting, and it's going to increase your variability when changing shooting angle.

Generally I set my tiller by feel. I heel the $hit out of my grips, so I have a little deeper tiller than what some others might have if they a high wrist grip. I'll have someone stand beside me as I draw to verify what I'm feeling. I shoot dual/binary cam bows; solocams, cam & 1/2's, and other non-symmetrical cams have different take up rates for top and bottom, which complicates the tiller a bit more, but it's the same rule of thumb. I don't want any rearward tilt when I draw, and since my dual cams have equal take-up and my hand is below the midline, especially considering my low wrist position, that means I have to run lighter up top to keep my torque even. That way when my bow starts pushing the arrow out, driving against my hand, it'll keep itself even and level as it delivers the arrow.

Even if you balance your tiller, as your shooting angle changes, you have to compensate a bit for the change in torque across your tiller. The more it leans forward, the less the bow will be able to press with the top limb, the less, the opposite.