HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Drop In Barrels
Thread: Drop In Barrels
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Ok, I just go off the phone with them. Very nice to talk to.

I'll talk about the good stuff first. They use Rice barrels. From all i've read they are better barrels than the GM barrel. Here's some info on the barrels.

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters..../rice-barrels/

The second good thing is you can send in the whole gun, and he'll fit the barrel to your stock. He has a TC Hawken and Renegade stock to fit the barrel to, but i'd prefer it was fitted to my stock. I can't believe TC made all the stocks exactly the same. However, you can just send your barrel if you'd like.

Now the not so good stuff. He uses the hardware off your old barrel. He may, or may not have a breech plug, but he'll need the rest of the hardware including sights off your old barrel. I don't plan on using the .50 anymore, so in my case it doesn't matter. I'd actually prefer to have my own sights installed.
The second negative is the barrel comes in the white. He doesn't do bluing, but i'm trying to talk him into browning mine. I wanted to brown the hardware anyway, so the barrel would have been the hard part. I can do the rest myself.
The last negative is the price. It's $400 for parts and labor. I kind of figured it would be around that when I heard he uses Rice barrels. More expensive than the old GM drop in barrel, but a better barrel. Turn around is about a month.

That's about it. I'm pretty sure i'm going to have it done. I like the idea of just one gun/load for everything. All game, plus BP shoots with .58 PRB.

btw They told me GM stopped making the drop in barrels, because TC stopped making the breech plugs. That's what GM was using. TC has really left the sidelock shooters out in the cold.