HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice. too many bucks???
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
X_Rayted35
Spike

Default Need some advice. too many bucks???

While this might not sound like a problem I think there might be one. I have only been able to hunt one stand this year because I havent had the time to make sure the others are ready to hunt yet. This past week was opening week and I hunted twice. I got a #160 8 pointer the first afternoon of the season.

Now heres the problem I think I have. I have a 450 acre farm and this past week I hunted a stand over looking a 20 acre soybean field of which only about half of it was in my field of view. I saw 12 different Deer this week. 10 of them were Bucks and only 2 were Does. Four of them including the one I shot looked like nice mature deer with tall racks outside the ears. There was one other 8 point and two nice 6 points. There were two nice 4 pointers that will hopefully fill out well in the coming years. The remaining Bucks were young spikes.

So Im guessing that 9 Bucks in a 10 acre field for 2 does is a bit much. If I need to kill a few more which do I take out first? Fore sure I will take another one of the other larger, mature Bucks but should I kill a few of those Spikes as well? Or is there not even a problem at all and once it gets closer to Rut they will move to other parts of my farm with more Does to breed with? Even though I havent hunted any other stands I have seen pictures on my trail cameras and there are a lot more Does on other parts of the farm. Of course there are also Bucks there as well so I dont know what to do about this large group of Bucks.