HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stabilizers on my hunting bow: Am I missing something?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You're right about us all striving for perfection. And although it will never happen we can continue to practice until we get better and better. But remember, only perfect practice makes perfect.
One thing that Nomercy made me think of is: does your bow rock back as you draw? Try pointing at your target and start your draw. Does your bow rock up or down? It could be that your limbs are not balanced. One or the other may have to be adjusted to give you a smooth draw without any rock.
That's where I was headed bronko. Typically your top limb has to be let down a bit to "set the tiller" on your bow. Your hand is actually below the center of the bow, so the top limb has a longer lever arm, and will flex proportionately less than the bottom when drawing, which usually causes a slight backwards tip of the bow.

Your bow should want to tip forward after the shot not just for convention, but for consistency. The center of mass for bow designs is placed to provide a forward cant to help resist that tiller imbalance under the release. Especially important in single cam or cam and a half bows due to the disproportionate string take-up. I'd love to see a bow design that was not balanced as such, and I'd sure never own one. Easy test is to hand your bow to another shooter...

Also, you lose access to consistency if you ever shoot at a downward angle. If it tips back when flat, then it'll be badly backward shooting uphill, but what happens when you shoot from a tree stand? Your arrow will get a totally different nock travel when your bow suddenly tips over forward due to the downward angle.

It's hard to argue with success, but I'd also think -how much better would you be if you corrected that form or tuning hurdle?