HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunting wisdom
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I dragged my first elk across a steep muddy slope to some tree shade where there was snow left over. My plan was to cut the elk into pieces and then pack it in the snow until I could fetch it the next day. That plan worked.

The trail was about 100 feet below that cache of meat. I climbed the 100 feet to the meat and packed down a quarter at a time on a pack, over steep, slippery ground. That was four trips. It now occurs to me that it would have been better to drag the elk as far as possible down that slope. If I had only been able to drag it down to 50 feet above the trail . . . that would have saved half the distance of my trips fetching the meat.

Normally you can't drag a whole elk, but the slope of the hill and the muddiness (melted snow wet the ground) made this possible in this case.

I suppose even if you can't drag the whole elk, if you could drag the quarters, that might be better than carrying them in some circumstances. Some sort of skid mechanism would be needed or a piece of heavy plastic or a tarp. My partners and I once put elk quarters on heavy plastic and slid it down from the kill site to a sheltered area.
I carry a packframe and game bags when I hunt elk. I bone them out where they fall. I haven't tried to drag an elk in over 20 years. Taking the meat off the bones cuts the weight of the animal to less than half the live weight. Besides, the coyotes have to eat too and I leave the guts, hide, bones and head for them. If I take a bull and want the antlers I cut them off with a folding bone saw.