HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you shoot Hevi Metal
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 PM
dubob
Spike

Default Hevi-shot

When Hevi-Shot first hit the market, I gave it a try on geese. Based on the articles I read I started with 2 3/4 inch shells loaded with #4 Hevi-Shot. I never saw a need to go with longer shells or bigger shot. My longest shot to date with that original load selection was a snow goose flying left to right about 15 yards off the deck. The first shot at that bird killed it clean and it never moved after hitting the ground. Another shooter in our group couldn't believe the distance and paced it off at 82 paces. The best day I had was in Canada pass shooting Canada geese along a fence line. No birds were under 50 yards. I took my 7 geese with eight shots; one bird was wing tipped and needed a second shot to end its glide to parts unknown.

I shoot Skeet & Sporting once or twice a week during the off season which helps a lot with distance and lead judgment.

Unfortunately, the cost of these shells has climbed to almost $4 each. When my current stash runs out, I may have to consider switching over to Hevi-Metal which are about half that price.