HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckfever37
Yes I would like to stick with it. My daughters cva shoots its amazing. I really don't want to have to buy 2 different powders. I have considered getting different sabots but staying with the hornady 250 sst low drag.

I will say I wont ever try shooting it at max load. When I shoot it sounds like I'm getting instant ignition.
The difference is that the CVA is a closed breech.

The Breech Plug in a Big Horn is not designed for BH. And because the Red Plastic Jackets stretch each time they are shot you loose gas in the breech. The loss of gas will effect accuracy as well as velocity and energy.

The one thing you might be missing is that BH is truly a smokeless powder with some black powder ingredients added to the mix to qualify it for a BP substitute. It is really a 'progressive' burning powder - it does not produce the peak pressure that the other BP subs do but is does produce a longer sustained pressure spike which pushes the pressure back out of the breech of a plunger gun.

In most cases with a FPJ, Red Plastic Jacket, it might not ever be a huge safety problem because the jackets leak so much pressure, but I would suggest that you never shoot it with other people standing near you especially on your immediate right side.