HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckfever37
Hey my name is Tim and I just joined this forum. I live in central Iowa. I frequent qdma forum under the same user name.

Well I made the switch to blackhorn powder this summer. I shot yesterday and my first 10 shots were all over but still size of a paper plate at 100 yards. I would put one in bulleyes and then next high to the left. I started with a 100 grains in volume worked down to 95. I think I was rushing since guys were waiting to use the range. I'm using cci magnum primers and hornady sst 250 grain low drag sabot. Well those guys left and I had the range to myself. So i started with new target and 90 grains. I messed around with 95 and 93 grains. Those last 7 shots were tighter. But nothing like how my daughters cva wolf shoots. The one thing i forgot to do last cleaning was use a drill bit and torch tip tool to clean out breech plug. The one thing i did was still grease the breech plug. I read with the gun heating up that can effect the powder? Looking for any loads or tips? Thanks
You may continue to have problem with BH in a Big Horn. BH is not recommended to used in a 'plunger gun' because of the blow back pressure that BH can create. Your shots may continue to erractic because you will not maintain the same pressure each time you shoot. Gas escaping back out of the BP and will not always be the same. You also stand a very good chance of blowing the 209 primer out of the breech and back at you - especially if it comes apart into 3 pieces, the battery cup, the primer and the Anvil...

Shoot BH very carefully in an open breech gun.