HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7 mm-08 for Savage Axis
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Tee Vee
Spike

Default 7 mm-08 for Savage Axis

Everyone probably has had a moment of frustration when working on a project and that's where I am right now. Purchased a Savage Axis in 7mm-08 last years Black Friday sale in Winnipeg, MB. The facts so far: (1) On a 200 yard sight in target a box of Remington 120 gr. pretty much covered the target. (2) Remington 140 gr. gave about 1 1/2 inch group again at 100 yards. (3) Tried IMR 4064 with 139 gr. Hornady and at well below MAX load in Hornady manual blew primers several times to the extent that it blew away the extractor bearing. (4) Switched to Varget and no blown primers until this week testing Hornady SST 139 gr. in Imperial .308 casings necked down, annealed. (5) During testing for the 139 gr. SST on Wednesday, at the 39 gr. load the grouping blew wide open and at higher charges right off the target. I tested up to 39.9 gr. of Varget as pressure signs were acceptable at all tested loads.

I have begun to think it might be possible to require a heavier bullet but for the fact that commercially made ammo isn't loaded heavier. Any thoughts or suggestions for me to consider/try folks?