HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plot or Corn Pile - Same Thing?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

The good thing about a plot is that you can stay the heck away from it (as opposed to always dropping bait). I have a small winter rye plot, and with my crossbow, most every shot is within range of 30 yds. The bad thing is all the labor involved. And if you have big herds, you will need a big expensive plot or they will mow it to nothing. By us the herds are pretty small these days.

In WI, you can not use automated feeders - you must haul bait out almost daily since amount is limited too. What I find works best is to bait short-term (2 or 3 days), hunt, and then move on to another spot. Too much working up one spot will teach them in a hurry to visit at night or not at all. So baiting in WI is no slam dunk either, and I am talking about bow hunting. For the most part, it is a good way to fill an antlerless tag.

My favorite way to hunt is still hunting with a muzzleloader after the regular gun season. This is classic hunting to me, but sometimes what is most noble does not fill the freezer!