HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do I learn how to hunt?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Sheridan
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Streetdoctor
take a hunter safety class (and get scared of the idiots you'll be in the woods with like I was)

buy a license in the game you want to hunt

get appropriate gear, practice shooting, etc.

Read a lot.

Get outside, scout, apply what you've learned, etc. Just because you can't pull the trigger on the animal you're looking for doesn't mean you can't do everything else like a real hunt. Hell, I've even thought about bringing my unloaded rifle into the woods to get used to walking with it, etc. I'm just afraid I'll cause a commotion with all the bow hunters.

This is my first year hunting and I have an elk tag. I grew up shooting guns but haven't fired a hunting caliber rifle (Greater than .223) in probably 10 years. In the last two months I've put in about 20 miles scouting my unit (will double that before the season starts), bought myself a new rifle/setup the scope yada yada, taught myself to reload, and manage .556" 3 shot groups at 100 yards and still haven't perfected a load. I feel more prepared than most after talking to some friends that are hunters. I'll be hunting with one or two other brand new guys as well.
Doctor,

You should do fine..................

Just remember, the window of opportunity opens and closes so quickly.

Practice when you can real life shooting situations !

Always find a rest !!!