HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I never said it would cover your scent. I said it would dilute your scent.

Personally, i've never used anything to cover my scent. As a still hunter of 60 years of hunting I know how to use the wind in my favor.

However, not all hunters are good at playing the wind. I have buddies that swear by the wafers, and have better success using them. He uses the ones that smell like dirt. Earth wafers I think they're called.

I was curious, and looked them up. I found hundreds of hunters who swear by them just as strong as you guys swear against them.

So, even though I don't find a need to use them. I at least have an open mind about them. I don't know if they work, but if you have a scent that's coming off you that's stronger than your human scent, and is a natural smell to animals. Who knows if they help? It seems better than having nothing but human stink coming off you.
Dilute , cover...whatever you want to call it. I would call diluting your scent by adding another scent cover scent.

Anyway my point is if it worked it would be free. I mean I'm in a tree that is standing in dirt covered with stick, leaves, hundreds of different urine etc etc all for free supplied by mother nature. It doesn't work because deer pick odd smells out in a natural habitat.....that is what they do and a little extra natural smell pinned on your shirt aint about to stop them.

Confidence is a funny thing. Scent wafers probably do help people that believe they help in some ways. Another thing that probably helps is the fact that the smell of cover scent forces people to keep their hunting clothes separate and contained which is likely what actually makes the difference.

I don't care what people do I just personally think the concept of cover scent is silly and I think its a little distracting from learning methods that actually do work.

Lets face it pinning a dirt scented wafer on our hats doesn't change the smell of our bodies nor does it add anything to the environment that isn't already there in abundance. Its about equivalent to the difference in standing on a dirt pile VS standing on a dirt pile with dirt in your hand.....nothing.

Last edited by rockport; 09-08-2014 at 08:56 AM.