HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Gryan

Default RE: Deer memory

That about covers it. I' d just like to add that much depends on what type of area you are hunting. In my suburban efforts, people scare the deer all the time so they are more likely to return soon. It seems that when they bust me but leave not knowing for sure, they come back the next day. If I shoot with the bow, they take longer and if I shoot the gun, they don' t come back until next year. All this said, I simply move my stand fifty yards either way and they aren' t looking for me there so it is OK.

I had one old doe that had very destinctive markings - I knew her from a mile away. She always busted me. No matter where I hunted on the property. It was like she looked for me. Litterally, for five years I could hunt in a new corner of the property and she would make me and do the stomping routine and run. I got one opportunity at her after many many many times getting busted. I wanted to kill her but I just said " gotcha" and she had an " Oh Crap" look on her face as she looked up to see me. She disappeared about a year later, I suppose to a car or gun or just old age. She was mature when we first met and I know that I had seen her for five years. That was a cool experience and there have been other deer with her markings since...they must be the kids.

Greg