HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it safe to eat 400-800 pound wild hogs?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

So far I haven't run into any that fall into that category.
Neither have i. Since early October last year we have trapped and hunted 175-200 wild hogs. A few of those were boars that weighed over 350 pounds. Yep, some of them boars stunk; big boar hogs are supposed to stink, they wallow in all kinds of crap and urinate all over themselves. The stink is on the outside of the hog.

We've killed several that weighed between 230 — 300 Lbs and made sausage or ground meat out of all of them without any complaints from the folks who've eaten the meat.
We've never gotten a bad hog. Except for a few we keep for ourselves, every hog we kill goes to some family who needs the meat. We've discarded a few hogs because of festering wounds from arrows and bullets.

IME: Every complaint of "strong tasting" hog meat i've ever encountered, and there have been many, were because of contaminated or rotten hog meat.

I routinely see guys drive around in 90 degree heat for hours with hogs that have not been field dressed in the back of their pickups. You see them contaminate the meat when field dressing hogs. You see guys get dirt, crud, semen, poop and urine all over the meat. They cut the intestines and get that stuff all over the inside of the hog.

In the back of my pickup are several milk jugs full of water for washing out the body cavity after field dressing hogs. Sometimes my buds and i take really dirty hogs to the car wash before field dressing.