HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 07:47 AM
twess

Default RE: Deer memory

From my experience, the deer have always returned to the same area unless they have been injured. Most deer that have winded me or the like have returned the next day to the same trail, some even a few hours later. All deer have relatively short memories, whether it be a buck or a doe. In most cases, unless there is constant disturbance created by man, the deer will release its anxiety and continue its normal activity. If you clean missed this buck, there is a darn good chance you will see him in the same area shortly. The scent released by the gland of the deer is only a warning and not a memory of an individual experience, and will diminish just as any scent left by man will also. Most deers home range is 1 to 2 square miles, and grows considerably during the rut. Also, when a deer is frightened and spooked their retreat is not as distant as most people would think. Most will only run until they feel they have escaped eye sight, and if you are hunting some fairly thick cover, this may not be far at all. I hope this message has helped you, and good luck in your future hunts.