HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Justifying a bad shot
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I agree that this guy is promoting that hunters take a badly positioned shot (quartering towards) in which the VITALS are shielded by muscle and bone, rather than encouraging hunters to be responsible sportsmen and WAIT FOR THE SHOT TO PRESENT ITSELF - OR PASS ON THE SHOT...

It's almost humorous, but ultimately saddening and embarrassing to hear him say that there are "vitals on either side of a center punch." I guess my experience would not support that the large intestine was a "VITAL". If a 10yr old kid that had never hunted before grabbed an anatomy book and wondered where to place a shot, sure, maybe they'd think that gut shooting would equate a "vitals hit," but for a grown man and "experienced hunter" to make that statement is just horrifying.

Proof is in the pudding, one specific example from my own recent experience - last season my wife hit EXACTLY where the video illustrated. We tracked blood for a half-mile until 2am (impact at 5pm), then started again at 8am the next morning and made it another quarter mile with our dogs before we couldn't find the next drop (about 30yrds between the last two drips, the size of fly specs). About 3mos later, we found his skeleton while running hounds for coon another half mile away from where the blood had dried up, with the arrow shaft and broadhead plugged into the inside of the last rib. So yeah, sure, it killed him, even killed him pretty fast, and sure, we recovered the rack after all of the important part had rotted away, but he ran over a mile before he dropped and we didn't find him.

It's shameful to broadcast that kind of misrepresented information.