HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 PM
bigc870
Spike

Originally Posted by camokenny
Some of the tricks that I have tried on shy gobblers is to get close and only cluck and purr softly. throw the yelps away. I also add some leaf scratching in with the soft calling. Try putting yourself between your decoy and the gobbler only if it is safe in your area to do so.
What I cant understand is them being on the limb at that time of day. Do you have a lot of yotes in the area? Ground predators would cause them to fly up at times. Fog or rain will keep them on the limb longer in the morning. Sudden hunting pressure might do it till they decided to leave the area.
Hope this helps.
camokenny, That is is some good advice. I know of a good water hole way back in the woods about 1-1.5 miles off the road but it is a pretty easy walk in. I have never set up on a water hole before, I will sure give it a shot next year.

The spot I hunted this year had a lot of hunting pressure and I am sure they were being called at for several weeks before season but most people that were hunting were not moving around alot. I walked all over that place when know hunters were not in there already and I never seen another person up moving around, I did make the mistake of getting close to some decoys but I was a pretty good distance away, I seen them through my binoculars so I don't think I hurt the other hunter much. I just hate when that happens.

I wish Missouri would have a law like in either Kentucky or Tennessee that says you can't call with a turkey call until season starts but you can use locator calls before season, just nothing that makes a turkey sound in your possession.

I know this would be hard to enforce but most hunters would follow the rule and not call before season. I have ask the MDC about this and they feel since it would be too hard to enforce that it would not make a difference, but it only makes sense to me because it would improve hunter satisfaction IMHO.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!!!

jepcho Good luck on your marriage!!!!!!!

I have been married to my better half for 22 years and we have been together 23.5 years and I only turned 40 last month!!