HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - is Camo really necessary?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Absolutely not! How did primitive man kill with spears and bows eons before camo?
The same way primitive tribes hunt today. They apply to their bodies natural camouflage of ash, mud, or char, and wrap themselves in skins and furs, also natural camouflage.

For what it's worth, camo DOES pay itself back in hunting success, and doesn't usually cost much more than any other "cold weather clothing". Scent covers are worthless.

I killed all of my deer for about a decade wearing a BLUE denim carhartt wool lined jacket. Occasionally threw a ghillie poncho over the top. Once that jacket finally needed replacing, I simply bought a camo jacket, for about the same price as a new Carhartt. It's undoubtedly noticeable how much easier it is to move undetected in camo vs. that old blue jacket.

Our archery season is often too d@mn hot to wear anything more than a T-shirt. I've adopted to wearing camo under armour heatgear on those days (it was 93degrees at 5pm last season one evening), as I've noticed I get busted a lot more often when my arms are exposed in a T-shirt than when wearing full sleeve camo.

I do, however, like to keep multiple sets of cold weather clothing. I do a lot of wood cutting in the cold, so I have a set of carhartts (bibs and jacket) that perpetually smells like 2 stroke exhaust. I have another set for snowy weather work that's waterproof. Then I have my camo clothes, which I TRY to not let smell like cow$hit and chainsaw exhaust. I got a great deal on some snow camo a few years ago, only have $150 into a pair of bibs and the jacket (something like 20% off of half price), and my other set is "standard" green/tan.