HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - is Camo really necessary?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Absolutely not! How did primitive man kill with spears and bows eons before camo? Our grandfathers hunted and killed deer before WW2 when deer populations were a fraction of what they are today, most did so in old work clothes or if they were "serious" they wore a red flannel suit. Of the "big 3" defenses on a whitetail (nose, ears and eyes) I think their eyes are the weakest. You can beat their eyes, you can "confuse" their ears but flatout defeating their nose is TOUGH without playing the wind. If you can hide behind a blind of some sort (natural vegetation is the best) then it really wont matter if you are wearing a Santa suit!

I honestly don't even care about camo during gun season, now I take my orange off while on stand. (Im a landowner and in TN I don't even have to wear it on my own land but I still usually do while moving on the ground.) The "contrast" is what gives you away when wearing bright orange. If legal, orange camo IS a little better than stark, unbroken bright orange. But again, that's just contrast, not really color perception. If you wear a white sheet over your body and take off through the spring woods, you'll look like Casper going through and will EASILY be identifiable. If you wear that same white sheet in those same woods in December while the woods are blanketed in snow, you'll blend in awfully well. That's contrast for you! For bowseason or turkey season yeah I'll wear camo but I honestly could careless what kind it is and might have 3-4 different kinds on me at once between my hat, facemask, shirt, gloves, pants, boots etc... I DO believe in keeping my face and hands covered as they are usually the most likely parts to be moving and that detecting that movement is what a deers eyes do best for them. They can't see precisely at long distances but they can flat out pick up movement, particularly at "bowrange" distances.

The whole "camo fad" has become a big indu$try since the late 80s with it's primary concern not being "gettin close to critters" but more likely "gettin close to hunters wallets!" "Earthtones" like browns, olives, grays, tans etc... that will blend you in fine for any deer hunting over 20-30yds, and if you sit still they'll work fine well inside that range even. In fact the vast majority of "tree like/shaped" camo becomes a dark blob at distances much over 30-40yds anyway.

Be still, move slowly when you must, hunt the wind and try to see them before they see you!
HL