HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - McWhorter Custom Rifles
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimbobwsm
Your parts list is conservative. You really think a good smith will put this together for $300 then break in the rifle and test it. Perform load development for the rifle using the customer's preference of bullet, and re-test it to 600 yards for Accuracy? I have been working with Tim and Allan for 7 years now. A rifle is not built in a day. They work their butts off and are not getting rich. Please let us know if you find a smith that can put together 1/4 moa 7.5lb hunting rifles. We would love to hire him.
its all about supply and demand, the more folks who want them to build it the more they can charge and stay in business, I have never paid a smith over 600 dollars for a full assembly, if I furnish the parts, and the ones close to that it was a copyrighted cartridge that they owned, my most accurate rifle cost me 400bucks over the cost of the barrel.
do your homework, no name smiths are the way to go, they put more effort into making a good product so they can one day be a big name in the business. but just because they are not well known doesn't make them inferior.
this is my experience from having 25 rifles or so built by a lot of different smiths.
RR