HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ATVS AND DEER HUNTING
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
SCGOBBLER

Default ATVS AND DEER HUNTING

Let me begin by saying that I have owned a 4 wheeler since 1986 and have never really used it to ride in to my stand. I' ve used it to retrieve downed deer and to take stands in the woods ahead of times that I' ve planned to hunt. I' ve always liked to hunt away from the crowds and tried to find areas that no one else was hunting. In May of 2000, I had surgery on my cervical spine [neck], after being basically paralyzed from the waist down for about 2 months. I' ve made a miraculous recovery since then and I am truly blessed by the grace of God. But I still have a lot of nerve damage in my lower legs that I will never regain, so the doctor says. I' m not looking for sympathy, just explaining my situation, because I do get around very well. Since my recovery, up until this hunting season I have tried to hunt like I have in the past, but I Finally realized this season that my body is just not able to hunt like I use to. I' ve told you all of this to ask you this question. I am considering riding my 4 wheeler to within 100 to 150 yards from my stand, parking it and walking in the rest of the way. Through your experiences what do you feel about me doing this? I hunt on a private club with 5000+ acres and we sign out the area that we are hunting, so there' s no chance of me interfering with anybody else while they are hunting. Thank you for your input.