HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My apologies for using "canned hunt".
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
JonMBailey
Spike

Wink

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Fair enough.
I was one of the first to holler troll when you started posting.
You did come on pretty strong at first with some pretty strange stuff.
Listen a lot and you will learn a lot.
This is a pretty salty group. Ease in gently.

"Canned hunt" isn't a good term to be throwing around in this saloon.
Much of this "strange stuff" you may have seen me type here may have been planted in my head by people I have known or what I may have read.

Most of my knowledge of hunting is from books and is theoretical. That "packaged" hunt, if you will, was my first and only deer hunt ever.

The meat was tough and horrible tasting. The rancher/guide's two adult sons assisted with the meat processing on the ranch. The buck was gut shot and had ran for about a half a mile after taking a hit behind the shoulder. The deer had been facing me with his body angled back at a 45-degrees and I had learned later that that was the wrong point of aim for that presentation. The bullet went behind his shoulder, breaking one rib in two and back into his guts. His sh_t bag was busted.

There were acorns found in this deer's belly and I was hunting in the B2 zone, not California's finest, I gather. My tag was for buck only.

When I was seven I had some venison at my grandparent's house. Grandpa got the venison from a buddy of his at work who went hunting here in California. That venison, grilled on the BBQ, was as tender and yummy as some of the best beef I have ever had. My grandfather also told me that special doe tags could be bought in California, but this was a long time ago.

This is why I am very apprehensive about going deer hunting ever again. I want to get the best possible MEAT for my hunting dollar. I don't ever want to spend close to $1,000 or more for garbage venison.

Perhaps, black tail does (duzz) not have the better meat quality.

I have heard over and over again that does (doaz) offer better meat than bucks.

Gut shooting probably did not help the flavor of my meat.

Running wounded bucks foul the meat with adrenaline.

Good venison like good beef has to be hung and aged for some time.

What deer eat while they are alive will affect venison eating quality at the dinner table when they are shot dead.

Deer raised and fed in captivity will taste better than pure wild ones shot with a gun, one man told me.

I am NOT one for trophies to mount on the wall but GOOD meat.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-17-2014 at 06:47 PM.