HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do different cases matter?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

The question has been answered, but yes, brand of case matters.

For plinking and 'normal range' hunting, I don't usually do this, but for long range shooting and competitive loads, I sort brass by weight - within the same brand. 'Theory' being the profile/cross section SHOULD be the same, but the weight difference illustrates a difference in thickness, which is a difference in chamber pressure by both obturation and by case volume.

Also important to keep track of number of loadings on a given brass. 10th loading brass will hold bullets (neck tension) very differently than virgin brass. Which is one benefit of annealing, man I wish I had a mechanical annealer!!!!

The general rule for reloading is to control EVERYTHING, make EVERYTHING consistent. - defaulting to safety. Brand of brass is included there. Granted, I'd be hard pressed to think that "normal" loads will ever cross a safety boundary just because you changed brand of brass, but MAX loads could. Changing primers DEFINITELY can cause a safety issue - new primer = entirely new load development.