HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hound breeds are endangered in America!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM
JonMBailey
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Two questions for ya:
(1) Do you ever make a positive post on anything, as since you registered on this site recently about all I've really read is griping!
(2) Do you now how to use the search feature on a computer? You must not since I just took five minutes on those three breeds of dogs you listed and there is enough information and places raising and selling them that you could take a week reading everything!
I used Google and Yahoo! I just wanted to, out of curiosity, see how hard it was to find these particular breeds.

I could NOT find one breeder with a PHYSICAL address listed or even a telephone number.

I did find one or two sites for fox hounds that said they were no longer breeding them.

Most of such breeds listed were from dog rescues. There was one website that was supposedly selling these pups by shipping and had no telephone number or physical address.

I don't buy a pup unless:

1. I can see the pup and seller in person
2. the animal is purebred and can be AKC papered
3. the dam is present and at least a picture of the sire is available

I would not buy any such hounds from a backyard breeder.

I am under the impression that these hounds are sold in some underground secret market since they have been getting a lot of negative liberal press lately. It is the same kind of negative media the PIT BULL used to get.

The traditional hunting hound is now the new "pit bull" of the media it seems.

The point is the hounds are not as readily available as German Shepherds or Labrador Retrievers.

PS - I am making an observation and not complaining. I don't want a hound anyway. I have a bad experience with a beagle that bayed incessantly, had the neighbors complaining, was destructive and could not stay restrained in a wire fenced yard. This rabbit dog had his nose glued to the ground and had selective hearing when commanded.

If I were to ever do any hunting with hound work, I will some other guy provide the hounds on the hunt. I will stick with bird dog types as a dog owner.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-14-2014 at 11:57 AM.