HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300wm federal trophy bonded tip
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
but they are nice to have for those high velocity shoulder impacts.
I typically avoid shoulder shots when I can. There are a lot of variables here, and a lot of personal preference as well.

There seem to be two camps regarding bullet performance anymore. Those who want a pass-through (often citing that they're easier to trail then), and those who want an animal DRT. I fall into the latter.

If I were hunting big bears again, I'd want a tough bullet that would crush bones and continue on through to the vitals. Using that same bullet on an elk (which I have), made a .375 hole going in, a .375 hole going out, a very heavy blood trail, but a trailing job nonetheless. Had it been a lighter bullet, or a one-lung-only hit, I don't know that I'd have recovered that animal? Again, I prefer DRT.

I shoot .30-06 and .300 Wby for elk today. My shots are usually less than 200 yards. My preference is not a pass-through. Cup-and-core work well for me. Just one hunter's opinion.

Hopefully the OP has enough information to go out and start building his own library of experience. There's only so much readers can get from reading about our opinions and experiences before they just need to go and do it and see for themselves.