HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 04:45 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2eagles
You don't realize you are agreeing with me when you say it will work at 20 yards. Read carefully I wrote - "If you keep the range short to where you have a dense pattern in the head area". You're living in a dream world if you think shooters of 3 1/2" 2 oz loads don't stretch the range to 60 or 70 yards and sometimes cripple a bird.
And I don't care if you have 2000+ posts and I only a few. I shot my first pheasants @ 10 years old over 50 years ago. I have shot enough game with rifle and shotgun, big game and small from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and read enough and studied enough to know what a gun can do. Go back to school, boy!
***Whoa there big fella! Did I post your name up slamming you in anything I said or say anything about my number of posts compared to yours? Nope, sure didn't! The OP asked if those loads would do the same as a turkey load in case you didn't read the last couple lines of his post. The simple and correct answer the majority of us are giving him is NO! The OP is also talking about letting a 10 year old kid use them that obviously has not been in the field much, if at all. If the loads were designed for turkey hunting they wouldn't be a low base shell showing the picture of a rabbit on the box. In case you haven't noticed over the last 20-30 years, the majority of shotgun shell boxes either have a picture on the box like that so it's easy to tell what the manufacturer recommends them for or have a written description on a side panel informing the consumer what they are made for. Yes, I posted that we agree that at 20 yards those low brass would more than likely be lights out it they had a pattern about the size of a soccer ball. I also stated that it would wound at longer distances and you then mentioned 60-70 yards. True turkey loads are designed to do what he is asking at more than twice the yardage those low base shells are good for and many have possibly twice the shot count for a better effective pattern. I also agree there are slob hunters who shoot game at distances they shouldn't be attempting whether it's with a shotgun or a rifle, but hopefully they are at a minimum. Just watch who you're calling boy since I've also been at this game for over 60 years and have taken way more than my share of small and various big game across the country.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.