HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Compensating for kick on a shotgun
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

I buy those variable colored "Bag of Rags' at a auto parts store, and stuff a few under my shirt and partially over my shoulder. My 870 Law Enforcement...sports a cushioned strap on cheek pad that I bought from Brownells, which helps from getting your cheek knocked around.

You can buy low recoil slugs from Brenneke. I do like Federal's Law Enforcement 12 gauge, low recoil, flitecontrol wad, 9 pellet 00 buck.

I will be wearing my amplified camo Howard Leight hearing muffs, when I go shotgun hunting for turkey this spring.

Raise your reaction elbow up so that it is parallel with the ground...which creates a better shoulder pocket for the buttstock.

You have to get into a shotgun...meaning that: square up your stance some towards the target {like a football player}, a little bit of quartering away is alright, knees flexed, the majority of your weight on the balls of your feet, till your almost feel like your ready to topple over forwards.

Bring the shotgun to your head...do not bring the head down to the shotgun when you mount it.

You have to shoot a minimum of six rapid fire shots, in order to see whether the recoil is pushing you backwards.

Some smaller stature people will benefit by using the push pull method....by pulling the buttstock toward your shoulder --- with the reaction hand --- and pushing out with the support hand on the forearm of the shotgun.

Above all...breathe an relax.

Matt Burkett's "Shotgun Mastery" dvd, can explain it better than I can.

Last edited by Erno86; 04-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.