HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best 7mm mag and scope to buy
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I've got 2 Remington Model 700s in 7mm Rem Mag. One I inherited from my father and he got it in 1962 when the cartridge was first introduced. I got mine when I was 13 which would be in 1976. I don't know how many heads of game the 2 rifles have taken but it is at least 300. My rifle has been used in 13 states, 2 Canadian Provinces and has gone to Africa 5 times. Dad's rifle has been used in 8 or 9 states, Canada and Africa. I've never had a problem with either and am not really sure where all the Remington bashing comes from. Both rifles wear Leupold 3x9 scopes.

If I was looking for a rifle in 7mm, I'd go to one of the big stores and handles as many different brands of rifles I can. They don't have to be 7mm just to get a feel of them. If they are in 30-06 or 300 Win Mag they will be about the same as the 7mm simply for handling. See which brand fits you best and which one you like the most. Chances are there will be 1 or 2 brands you really like and 1 or 2 that feel like a club in your hands. Make your choice based on that.

By the way, for what it is worth, the advice of spending a little more on the scope and a little less on the rifle is pretty sound advice. Better optics will make you a better shot. You can hit better if you can see better.