HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best 7mm mag and scope to buy
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Beware of internet advice! However, since you have asked...

A Remington 700 is a very good rifle (the QC talk is just internet chatter - like Bigfoot). The biggest difference between the various 700 models is in the stock. The model that comes with the stiffest stock would be my choice. One of the great things about the 700 is all of the aftermarket options. If you buy one and later want to replace the stock there are many excellent choices and it is very easy to do. The 700 is a good choice.

If you think you will be hunting in wet conditions you should probably at least consider a rifle in stainless.

The Winchester Extreme Weather is another rifle to consider. It costs more than a 700, and it can be difficult to find, but they are also a good choice.

I don't think you can find a bad scope in the $300 - $500 price range. I would look at variable scopes with a top end of no more than 10X, a low of somewhere around 3X, and a 40mm objective. As previously stated the US scope manufacturer Leupold would be a fine choice. Don't forget to budget a few bucks for very good quality rings and bases for that scope.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 04-01-2014 at 04:19 AM.