HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need scope Help!
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 11:42 AM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need scope Help!

I would take bushnell or the simmons over a tasco. If you could come up with another $100, the leaupold vx1 is a darn good scope. The main difference you' ll see between the $90 scope and $190 scope is the low light vision. The cheap scopes don' t give much when the light is getting dim. Also, the adjustments are much better with the $190 scope. However, I understand your position, I hunted with tasco' s and bushnells most of my life but if I had known what I know now, I' d sold naked pictures of my wife to get the good scope.
As far as sighting in, get the scope mounted professionaly and have them bore sight it, that should get you within a foot at 100 yards. When you shoot it, make sure the bore is clean and all the cleaning oil is removed from the barrell. If you have oiled the barrel, shoot a few rounds to get the oil out before doing any scope adjusting.
Since your shooting in such short range conditions, I' d think about getting see through scope mounts. Then you can put the gun in a vice or something equally secure and use your iron sights to aim at a point in the distance. Adjust your scope until the iron sights and scope are aiming at the same thing. That will get you on the target when you start shooting for accuracy. One more thing, after you got it sighted in, don' t clean the bore until the season is over. Good luck to you.