HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - marlin x7
Thread: marlin x7
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
It's a Marlin.....................
Is it really? Joking aside, I actually think the X7's were one of the only Marlin models that didn't take a bath during the Remington transfer to NY.

I've been reticent about the "Marlin" X's since they were introduced AFTER the Remington acquisition. I wasn't really sure at the time whether it was a Remington design that had been badged as a Marlin, or really a Marlin design. And to be honest, I'm not sure which would give me less pause, a "first crack" bolt gun from a high standard gunmaker, or a "well we couldn't sell this design under our own name" model from a behemouth maker that had grown complacent. I suppose I'm mostly just butthurt due to what Remington did to the leverguns, at least temporarily (word on the street is that the newer work in NY is better).

The "Marlin" XL7's and the like have garnered a lot of reputation points, and for what it's worth, it seems to be deserved. It also seems that for the price point, it's one of the better finished rifles in it's class, at least from what I've seen and heard - again, not owning one. They shoot straight, and for the money, what more could you ask for? I'm not sure any cheap plastic stock is really better than any other, and the Savage clone action and trigger do what they were designed to do.

Considering the competition...

If upgrading/rebuilding were off the table, and considering the pricepoint it plays at...

With the song and dance between different models that Ruger has been doing in recent years (let's scrap the 77 MKII and make the Hawkeye, no wait, let's make the American...) and with the hit and miss quality control Remington has been going through with the SPS line (as well as their model variation fluctuations also), I'd be more prone to pick up a Marlin over a Ruger or Remington at that price point.

I'm none-too-interested in the Mossberg rifles. Nothing wrong with them, and I've shot a few that had not-so-surprisingly good accuracy (considering they're a Savage clone, like the Marlin), but if it's a popularity contest, my vote goes to Marlin's reputation over Mossberg. This assumes I have faith that Remington will get its $hit together and live up to the good Marlin name, of course.

I'm a big Savage fan, so I'd go that way myself, but the Marlin would be my second choice at that price point. Even Savage has had some turn-over in their budget rifle lines, dropping the Edge rather quickly for the Axis, and now refitting the Axis to take accutriggers, and adapting into the "Trophy Hunter" bridge models... For under $400, I'd probably rather have a Marlin WITH a pro-trigger than an Axis without an accutrigger.

The scope on the package models, I'd pass on. It'd get you going, but I'd look to replace it quickly. Which I'd say about ANY of the budget friendly "scope/rifle pacakges" out there from any brand.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-25-2014 at 10:49 AM.