HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird 2
Thread: Bird 2
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Default Bird 2

Fooled with some birds first thing this morning that wouldn't play right. About 9 am I headed for the swamp and just as I got to our property line there was a gobbler standing in the road that picked up and flew down the road I had planned to park on. So I drove on past and turned up a road a little closer to the river. I had no idea if that bird would be callable but he was headed where I wanted to go anyway. I was just walking an old dim road yelping occasionally and heard a distant gobble. I pushed as close as I dared and sat down against a huge pine tree on a ridge the turkeys have always liked in this place. I broke out the Woodhaven Cherry Crystal slate, yelped then did a little cutting. He thundered about 100 yards out in front of me. Got my gun up on my knee and switched to calling with a mouth call. After a long time without seeing or hearing him I cut at with the mouth yelper and he thundered again...closer! In less than a minute I saw him passing between the big oaks down in the bottom. Beard flopping like a donkeys... well you know. He got right in the lane dead in front of me and was coming. He probably would have walked up in my lap the way he was coming but I let him get just in range and dropped the hammer on him. Hevi-13 6's laid him out. A heck of a swamp bird. 20 lbs. 11 inch beard and 1 1/8 left spur and 1 3/16 right spur. NWTF score 65.125