HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Help Planning Moose Transport from Alberta to the US
Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 AM
DARKSIDE55
Fork Horn

I do a lot of Moose and Bear transfers for my US customers every year. The only advice I have for you is this. If you're not going to drive up and back, and I don't know where you are in the US, you better take a second mortgage out.
1. You need a clean criminal check and a passport. Driving or flying.
2. Because of CWD exposure, you will have to make sure that your antlers with the skull cap attached is scraped and burned. And by burned I mean, when they clean the skull cap, run a propane torch over the cap. Make sure there is no meat left there.
3. All the meat and the hide should be no problem. Freeze it completely and 2 or 3 days driving won't hurt it.

Most of my hunters have a full size deep freeze loaded into the back of their truck. I freeze the meat and hide completely for them here and then they put it in the deep freeze. Some have it butchered here which makes a lot more room in the freezer. Some just take the quarters. Your outfitter there should already know all of this. The main problem is the antlers and skull cap. As long as they are prepared properly here, they don't have to be split.

Hope this helps you. Good luck on that 60 + inch bull.