HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Help Planning Moose Transport from Alberta to the US
Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 PM
spruceswamp
Spike

Default Need Help Planning Moose Transport from Alberta to the US

I’m heading to northern Alberta in late November for a moose hunt this fall. I’d prefer to fly and if successful either take the antlers, cape, and 100 to 200 pounds of meat home as checked luggage or find a transporter to transport everything back to the US. I’ve been researching both options and haven’t found anything solid for the transporter option.

I could have the cape (which would have to be tanned or at least dried out) and antlers shipped back but it’s really pricey $1000+. FedEx or UPS won’t ship meat back from Alberta to the US.

I’ve reached the check baggage option and think it might work depending on airline. I can handle the meat on the airline, but the cape and antlers are what I’m more worried about. They won’t take anything over 100lbs. If I were to freeze the cape solid in a cooler I don’t know what it would weight… could it be over 100lbs? If it were frozen solid rolled up tight I would think I would have at least a couple days before I would have to worry about it spoiling, but lost luggage and it spoiling would be a risk.

As far as antlers, they would have to be boxed in a box where total linear dimensions cannot exceed 120 inches (Length + Width + Height). Maximum dimensions for each measurement individually would be 38 inches deep by 34 inches wide and 70 inches length/height. I’ll be hunting 50-60 inch bulls and would not have a problem splitting the antlers and fitting them together inside a box. However, I don’t have a good idea whether split antlers of a 6o inch bull would meet these size requirements?

The checked baggage option as long as I don’t go over the maximum size and/or weight limits, would cost me around $600 for the antlers, cape, and 200 pounds of meat.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of hunt and getting everything back into the US and home safely? Driving would be a 28 hour one way trip and I’m going solo… I would prefer to avoid the driving option if possible.

Any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks!