HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 4* ~Turkaholics
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Well.....I stunk it up. This was the first time I ever set foot on this WMA. I went in totally blind. I set down waiting for sunrise on a large poplar tree and napped for 30 minutes or so. At first light some hens started chattering about 80 yards below me. 3-4 toms sounded off up and down the hollow but none real close. I answered the hens and got a tom to answer about 100-120 yards slightly to my left. At this point I was afraid to move. The tree I was on was just for sleeping and listening...lol. The tom gobbled 2 times and flew down. Within 10 minutes he is coming right to me. I adjusted when he went behind a tree expecting him to continue on his path straight to me. Instead he stayed left and went behind a little rise. I twisted as much as I could waiting for him to reappear. When he did he was about 30 yards up the road I walked in on. I had to readjust again with nothing between me and him. I committed a cardinal sin and didn't shoulder my gun. Thought I could get away with it. The gun was actually on my bicep because I was twisted so far around. I have a Burris Speed Bead on my gun and had it on him but my cramped, awkward position caused me to shoot low. I hit him with a load of Nitros #7's. I really wish I had the 4's,5's,7's load in instead. He did a funny little flop turn and caught one more load as he ran up the hill. All this happened at 6:55 am in an area that I have never set foot on in my life. Kinda sickened.