HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Impressions and Results: Sight-In, 2014
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Grawlix
Fork Horn

Default Impressions and Results: Sight-In, 2014

Well, folks, I hit the range today with my Browning Gold 10-gauge and its newly-mounted Leupold 1-4 scope and my Rhino choke tube.

I had variety of loads with me, ranging from 1 7/8 oz. Hevi-Shot No. 6's to 2 1/4 copper-plated No. 4's.

Velocities on the boxes ranged from 1050 fps to 1300 fps.

I also had a LOT of duct tape and paper plates.....

(I did the same thing with 12-gauge, 3 1/2-inch loads a few seasons ago).

I hate to break it to anyone in particular, but my conclusions are not earth-shattering, or even noteworthy - - except to the extent that they may reinforce conventional wisdom or common sense.

1. The ten-gauge patterns better and is capable of doing so at longer ranges than the 12-gauge; NOT night-and-day, but noticeable.

2. There are some differences between loads - - but a LOT less than the ammo manufacturers would suggest.

3. Almost any turkey load will do the job at any distance which a SANE hunter would dare to take a shot.

4. Closer is better. Much better. All loads spread out, then drop, as the distance to target increases.

5. A scope doesn't add a whole lot to a scatter gun's performance. There is some marginal utility in using one to accentuate one's focus on the target. A hunter is definitely NOT, however, under-equipped without one, and one with a scope is not necessarily at an advantage.

6. As homage to "Box O' Truth": it's fun to shoot stuff.

That's about it. I hope someone benefits. I guess if it works for you, keep doing it. It it doesn't, try something else.

Last edited by Grawlix; 03-11-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling deficiencies...maybe brain damage...