HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 for hogs
Thread: .243 for hogs
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM
bob harbison
Spike

Regardless of the round used shot placement is critical. A .243 will indeed penetrate the biggest hog's shield. However, if you shoot a big boy in the shield with a .223, 243, or even a .270, be prepared to either track a wounded hog or climb a tree; he will not be a happy camper. A good solid head shot with a .243 will drop any monster in his tracks. The problem is we are not hunting on a target range. That 'perfect shot' is not always available. I have been hunting the Florida wild boar hog for over fifty years. I have seen it all. I have tracked hogs by following lung tissue from that 'perfect' heart lung shot. Don't let anyone tell you a wounded hog will not come looking for you with the intent of doing grave bodily harm; they will! I used a 7mm. BAR for years. The 7mm magnum is a much more powerful .270. It will penetrate the 'shield' and blow the shoulder out the other side. Smaller hogs are much easier to locate & get a good shot. However, trophies do not grow that big by being 'easy.' After many hours waiting it's hard to pass up a good heart lung shot because we cannot get a head shot. One solution is to select a caliber with more punch, more knock down power. You will find that virtually any .30 caliber will do much more damage than a smaller round.
A .30-30 is a very popular round because its readily available, cheep, and packs a real wallop. Next up, .308. The .308 is one of the most popular military & hunting rounds around the world. Why? It does the job. Americas own 30.06 is also outstanding. And then there is my own personal choice, the put them on the ground & keep them there 45/70. I have been using my 45/70 Marlin stainless 'guide gun' for over ten years. It's been ten years since a hog I have shot ran; they are too busy dying.
The real sportsman/woman knows his/her weapon, what it will & will not do, and acts accordingly. The choice of a weapon depends on the individual. We all have our personal preferences. The best choice is the weapon we feel most comfortable with.

Last edited by bob harbison; 03-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.