HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter
Thread: New Hunter
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Soybomb
Spike

Default New Hunter

Hey guys,

I am brand new to hunting and this site. I will be getting my acquisition license in a week or so and am going to be buying my first rifle. I know threads like this are everywhere, but everyone has a unique situation so I thought I would post my own.

I want to hunt primarily to feed myself. So I want as much meat as possible from the animal.

I will be hunting mostly deer to start but will want to hunt everything I can eat at some point. For now I need to decide on a Deer / Moose rifle.

My price range right now is around the Sako A7 mark. I was thinking of getting a 30.06 and calling it a day. What I was wondering however, was that maybe a different caliber would be better for Deer, as thats probably most of the hunting I will be doing.

I was thinking I could get two entry level rifles, maybe like a .270 or .308 for deer, and something larger like a 30 Win Mag for when I get into Moose / bigger game later on.

I think my only hesitation with just getting a 30.06 is the ballistics aren't quite as good as some of the other calibers out there.

Im probably over thinking things, but hey, thats the way I am.

I should add, I have a 1894 Winchester 30 caliber lever action. It is old as hell, and would probably need to be restored before it worked, but I do have it (its actually made in 1894, first year they made them)

Thanks everyone, looking forward to this quite a bit!

Last edited by Soybomb; 03-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.