HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Restoring my Father's Model 37 shotgun
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

The first step was to spread the crack in the foregrip and syringe some titebond glue into the crack and clamp it. While that dries I can shorten the stock and install a recoil pad. Im using a Pachmayr 325 field recoil pad because I like the vented (ribbed) look vs the sims which just looks too modern for this old gun. The Pachmayr has the old school look with a white spacer so it will be more “period” looking.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/recoil-pads.php

The recoil pad is just over an inch thick so the stock needs to be shortened by the same amount. This solves the problem of recoil and the broken plastic butt plate and the chipped wood on the heel.

Then I drilled the holes for the screws.

Then the oversized recoil pad is screwed on so it can be ground to fit the size and slope of the stock.

The end of the stock is wrapped with two layers of painters tape to protect the wood and then the pad is ground on a belt sander to fit the stock. I start with 80 grit and then 120 grit belt and then hand sand with 220, 320 and finally 400 grit. After peeling off whats left of the tape.

The screws on this pad are hidden. The rubber is self healing after a small slot is cut to insert the wood screws. It’s a good look and will look even better once it washed and polished.

Then the foregrip is final sanded and both will get several applications of tung oil rubbed into the old wood.

To be continued…..